Wednesday 30 January 2013

Anger for re-tweeting Jesus joke and apology by El- Rufai

  Anger for re-tweeting Jesus joke and apology by El- Rufai

Published:
The former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, attracted anger from Christians on Twitter on Sunday for re-tweeting a Joke about Jesus that was intended to be a criticism of the Jonathan’s insensitivity to criticism of his administration’s policies.



  1. The former Minister who is a Muslim, is an avid user of the micro-blogging site, where he has attracted a large following for his criticism of the government policies. Earlier on Monday he had re-tweeted following tweet from another social critic know as Ogunyemi Bukola with the Twitter handle @zebbook
  2. “@zebbook: If Jesus criticizes Jonathan's govt, Maku/Abati/Okupe will say he slept with Mary Madgalene.”....LWKMD.....
  3. But no sooner had the tweet appeared on his timeline than many of his followers took offence describing the tweet as blasphemous.
  4. @elrufai @zebbook I think you take pleasure in creating confusion and tense atmosphere. May God have mercy on you Mallam Elrufai.
  5. Wrong Way 2 Correct"@Engee24: @elrufai @zebbook I also guessed your so called Muhammad/allah slept with your mother hun..#frustrated fool""
  6. Dear @zebbook @elrufai and everyone supporting this careless. THE OUTCOME WILL BE MORE DISASTROUS THAN IMAGINE. #WeSAYNOToJesusJoke
  7. @elrufai @zebbook Is dis suppose to be a joke or somethin? B careful that you don't rain curse on yourself. Ask God for forgiveness.. Else!
  8. @zebbook @kennyadewole @elrufai you guys are fools coz you can't differentiate who wrote it and what his response was. #twitterjjc
  9. @elrufai it is quit disappointing that such a blaspheous talk comes from you:@zebbook
  10. However, others rose the defence of the ex-minister saying it was a harmless joke that wasn't meant to caste jesus in a bad light; 
  11. First and foremost, that tweet wasn't sent by el-Rufai. No 2) that person wasn't insulting Jesus. C'mon!
  12. @zebbook just read it and what is wrong with that tweet? It's not offensive at all we all need a chill pill and face this useless Govt.
  13. @Nedunaija Besides, the joke started with an "if" which makes it hypothetical at best. What's wrong with all these fanatics?
  14. El-Rufia did not initially directly respond to the anger directed at him as observed by this Facebook post:
  15. The tweet by Mallam Nasiru El-Rufa'i making such an insensitive joke about Jesus Christ is disrespectful and highly provocative. Considering the sensitivity of Nigerians on such issues. I am dismayed he is yet to delete the tweet nor apologise despite criticisms on twitter.
  16. He,however, posted a statement on his Facebook page apologising to those that saw the tweet as offensive. He explained that he didn't mean it to come across that way and the tweet was taken out of context:
  17. Hello Friends. I have been travelling and try to catch some sleep in between the last 24 hours and missed all the furore arising from my retweet of Ogunyemi Bukola's (@zeebook) joke Maku eat al and Jesus. I must say I am taken aback by the extent of desperate misrepresentation of what was an innocuous attempt to show the godlessness of the Jonathanians to denigrate anyone that dares to ask them to be accountable.
    To those who were genuinely offended by the retweet, I apologize. I did not meant to offend anyone, neither did the @zeebook I know and featured as one of the Young Voices in my Friday Column. Jesus or Isa Alaihis Salaam is a respected prophet of Islam. Every Muslim accepts this in addition to his miraculous virgin birth. It is therefore absurd for any Muslim believer to disrespect Jesus Christ.

    I hope those in this class will see my point of view and accept my apologies for any offense or disappointment caused. And I advise everyone to read @zeebook's timeline and mine to read EXACTLY what was tweeted rather than the second-hand reports of certain people who ALWAYS twist whatever I write or not write to achieve their morally-repugnant objectives.

    To those in that class of liar - the political contractors who tried to attribute the entire statement to me to destroy perceived political capital, I say keep on doing that till the day your cups will be full. Everything these days is reduced to posturing for 2015,but those doing it do not even know which one of us will be alive to witness the events of that time. I leave all those to God and their conscience.

    To the Warriors of God, who misinterpret the Scriptures (both Bilble and Qur'an) and pretend to be capable of fighting His battles, please learn from history. The multiple Crusades and Jihads are yet to convert the entire human race into one religion. If God wished us all to be of one religion, He would have made us so. So please leave God's work to Him, and just be good to other humans.

    I thank all my friends who stood up for me in this saga. They know me better than what the desperate Jonathanians want to paint as El-Rufai. An those that wish to know me a little batter should please read my forthcoming book. Thanks and God Bless.
  18. After initially refusing to apologise as some of his followers had suggested:

  19. That tweet WAS and IS NOT a blasphemy. I am not responsible for how anyone chooses to interpret it. No apology.
  20.  Ms Ogunyemi (@zebbook) who originally posted the tweet, later posted an apology in a series of ten tweets:
  21. (1) I wish to apologize a tweet I sent yesterday which has since become controversial in which I drew an analogy using the person of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment