Friday 23 November 2012

Way Forward On Nigeria Education- Murisik Taiwo Balogun



Mr  Murisiq Taiwo Balogun is the education secretary of Ifako Ijaye Local Government, Lagos.He graduated from the then Ogun state university now Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye, Ogun State. He bagged master degree in education administration from University of Lagos (Unilag).He told us some of  the responsible factors for declining in Nigeria Education system. He told our team of how he become the education secretary when we visited him in his office.

Sir, you are the education secretary of Ifako Ijaiye local government, can you tell us the journey to this post?
The journey to this post is competitive and political. In 1997, I vied for the post of House of Representative from this local government and I couldn’t make it, so I decided to wait for God time. When the education secretary post was vacant, I submitted my Curriculum Vitae (CV) since I have all the required qualifications. So at the interview, eleven of us were the candidate and fortunately, I have worked with many of the interviewers in different capacity at the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB). After the interview, Alhaji Adeleke of blessed memory took me to Engineer Rauf Aregbesola and he told me that, I shouldn’t worry since I have all the required qualifications. I later went to see Cardinal Odumbaku(Baba Eto) and to  the glory of God, I was picked. My appointment letter was then sent to my local government and Mr. Doherty, the executive chairman of Ifako Ijaye local government and Mr Olabinjo, the executive chairman of Ojokoro local council development area (LCDA) signed my letter. I thank them all.

The recent declining in Nigeria Education system is worrisome, what do you think as education secretary and administrator is responsible for the problem?
I think Nigeria is facing problem on every sectors and education sector is not exceptional. Tell me which one of our sector is working well? Is it the power sector or health? So I think the problem facing education sector can be best `being described as a collective of a whole. The entire problem facing other sector will still be blamed on education sector. They will tell you that the teacher is not dispensing good teaching and that is the reason we are having half baked students and graduates. But they will not talk about unpaid incentives that can motivate teachers to go extra mile to teach students. When last did the government give teachers rice and milk at festive period as they do in the past? Teacher’s salary is token and many of them retired without anything to fall back to. So let government begins the practical implementation of some programs like mortgage loan for teacher, training and re-training  and other things, you will see a lot of complimentary effort from the teachers. Lagos state is even trying, but they still need to do more. They should improve more on modernizing education infrastructures and build more schools because Lagos population on education is increasing everyday.


Even if government do all that, do you think the students doesn’t have any work to do as well?
Not only the students including the parents. Some parents are not care about the performances of their wards in the school. Many of them did not even have the time. They go to work very early in the morning and return in the late night. All of us have work to do. The parents must be concerned about the education of their children. They must find time to come to their children school and make enquiry about their performances. We understand the economic situation of the country, but they need to know how their children are doing in the school. The students on their part must be commited to their reading. Some of them are not suppose to be in the university or polytechnic. Some of them suppose to in technical school. Parents need to change their approach towards education if we want this country education to go back to its glossy days. Not all students have the intellectuality of going to the higher institution, but because of the emphasize we laid on tertiary education, parents at times manipulate processes for their children and you will see such student fumbling when admitted into the university.

You are very famous with the executive governor of Osun State Engineer Rauf Aregbesola, how will you describe him and what is your relationship with him?

I can tell you that Engineer Rauf Adesoji Aregbesola is my boss and my father. He is such a nice man and straightforward person. He believes in the youth and if he knows you, he will use all what he had to support you. He is a leader and organizer and he never look down on anybody. He is humble and a listening leader. Somebody took me to him as I said and ever since then he has done a lot of things for me and I will never forget him. I am just one of many he has helped and I wish him fulfillment, joy and happiness as governor and person.

Can you share with us the big challenge you ever faced?
I have started living as an independent person even while I’m still living with my parents. My father of blessed memory paid all my school fees from 100-400 level when I was in the university. But I have to get other things myself like foodstuff, underwear, provision and cloth. So during the holiday, I involved in many things like bus conductor and travelling to cotonou to buy things and sold here. So the experience then was terrible .Another thing is that I lose my first wife who had my first son and that really posed a serious challenge on me but today I thank Allah.

What next are you looking up to after the education secretary?
Any post that can make me to serve my people better

No comments:

Post a Comment